If You're a Mentor, Be Like Yoda
From "6 Things Great Mentors Do Differently" by Sujan Patel:
Great mentors invest in the success of their mentees and, often, that means pushing them beyond their expectations. An article from Kauffman Entrepreneurs ties this one back to one of pop culture's greatest examples of mentorship, the Star Wars character, Yoda:
"Yoda sets out one challenge after another for Luke to help Luke manage himself better, hone his skills and more fully appreciate his responsibilities to use The Force for good."
Takeaway: If you're a mentor, be like Yoda. Always expect more from your mentees. They may not know what they're capable of otherwise.
Read more here: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/289021
4 Tips For Retaining College Graduates
Here are four ideas to help you turn your newly-hired college gradutes into successful employees through mentoring:
1) Set Expectations - "By approaching onboarding using personalization, employers can better teach college graduates about the organization during their first crucial days as employees."
2) Continue Their Learning - "Lessen confusion and make the transition earlier by assigning a lead contact for all educational needs. New college graduates will appreciate the consistency and support as they grow both professionally and personally with learning opportunities."
3) Give Individualized Attention - "If setting up meetings between new hires and your company CEO isn’t always possible, sit down with company leaders to decide who would be best to meet initially with each grad. While employees will feel important and "heard," the company itself will be better prepared to help each person reach goals through specific training and mentoring."
4) Measure Results - "Talk to team members about what they found most important, challenging and even frustrating during the onboarding process. Use their answers to guide what metrics you'll subsequently use to measure recent grads’ satisfaction and assess how they’re perceiving company goals, expectations and culture."
From "Stop Chasing College Graduates Away: Instead, Employ These 4 Tips" by Heather Huhman from Entrepreneur.com. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/295924
20 Ideas for Workplace Mentoring Activities
Follow these 20 tips to help you create a positive and helpful mentoring relationship in your work environment:
- Identify goals
- Create a mentoring action plan
- Address mentee challenges
- role play
- Job shadow
- Provide networking opportunities
- Provide oral feedback
- Provide written feedback
- Read up and share your thoughts
- Share career history
- Review your CVS
- Suggest other reading
- Team up and network together
- Create a vision statement
- Be a coach - focus on strengths
- Regularly review goals
- Discuss interpersonal skills
- Be a coach - target weakness
- Consider volunteer work
- Close the loop
4 Videos to Prepare Mentees for Success - Chronus
This four-part series teaches mentees how to be successful in their mentoring connections, because it's important that mentees know what role they play in their mentoring relationship.
Video topics include:
- Finding the right mentor
- Asking someone for mentorship
- Preparing for the first meeting with a mentor
- Developing a growth mindset for impactful mentorship
Chronus is the leader in mentoring software. Their configurable platform is powering hundreds of successful mentoring programs for some of the world’s largest companies, educational institutions, and professional associations. With unique MatchIQ™ technology, a guided experience for participants, and the most configurable platform in the industry, Chronus enables mentoring programs to efficiently scale and drive more strategic value for organizations worldwide.