"Tips for Mentees: Step Up – It’s Your Gig!"
- Clarify your goals: explain to your mentor what you want from your career, and from mentoring.
- Come prepared: set up an agenda ahead of meetings and give your mentor enough time in advance to review any materials.
- Remember, it’s your responsibility to keep the relationship going: you don’t want your mentor saying, “I haven’t heard from you”.
- Respect your mentor’s boundaries: create upfront agreements about what to do if time-sensitive issues arise outside your organised meetings.
- Take action between sessions: be willing to try new things and to respond to suggestions. However, always filter any advice through your own instincts, as you are ultimately responsible for your own actions.
- Be grateful: express your appreciation and tell your mentor what a difference it is making to you. Ask if there is any way you can help your mentor.